Tricky And Josie Gibson's use of Bristolian

I thought it would be of interest to all my readers if I were to publish the results of my research with regard to Tricky's and Josie Gibson's use of the Bristolian language, two of the finest and best known exponents of our linguistic heritage. This I did by noting the extent to which they used Bristolian words published in A Dictionary Of Bristle in interviews that have been put out on Youtube relatively recently. First Tricky:-



If you listen carefully you will hear dill (deal), wiv (with), amt (have not), ow (how), ooze (who is), thur (there), dint (did not), fink (think), iss (it is), ave (have), member (to remember), munce - plural of munf (month), anudder (another) and peepaw (people). There may be some others that I have missed but I think 14 words of pure Bristolian gold is a pretty impressive return from five minutes and fifty-seconds of an interview.
Now Josie Gibson:-



Again, if you listen carefully you will hear iss (it is), bout (about), free (three), saul (it is all), nurlay (nearly), done (did), ard (hard), mazen (amazing), nuffink (nothing), aw (all), awd (old), wiv (with), frages (for ages), seen (saw), bin (been), amt (have not), luverly (lovely). There may be some that I have missed from this interview but then 17 words of pure Bristolian gold is an even more impressive return. However, it must be said that the Josie Gibson video is 48 seconds longer than Tricky's.

I really do feel that these two Bristolians should be celebrated for the extent to which they are preserving the Bristolian language and making it better known to the rest of the world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Famous Bristolians And The Bristol Accent

A Brief Guide to Bristolian Grammar

Bristolian Jokes